11.09.2019

in support of non-productivity


I R E L A N D  //  July 2019 

When you thought you were going to spend a Saturday night at home alone, and your friends invite you to the new brewery in town...

You shirk the work you were planning on doing. And you join them for a couple hours.

Because you are an extrovert. But mostly because you value people, and connecting with them is the thrill of life. Life isn't all about productivity.

I've been reading Jenny Odell's book, How to Do Nothing, in little spurts lately. This passage confirms my convictions:
"I'm suggesting that we protect our spaces and our time for non-instrumental, noncommercial activity and thought, for maintenance, for care, for conviviality. And I'm suggesting that we fiercely protect our human animality against all technologies that actively ignore and disdain the body, the bodies of other beings, and the body of the landscape that we inhabit." 
 Preach, Jenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment