8.17.2019

to trust


Glendalough Upper Lake, County Wicklow, Ireland

H. in the sun // 35 mm

beautiful H. // I'm really pleased with how this roll of film turned out. sometimes I get lucky. 

a Sessile Oak in Glendalough // 35 mm


I visited one of my favorite faith communities in Charlottesville, VA last weekend, All Souls. The pastor, Winn Collier, shared various quotes about waiting. This one especially struck me (no surprise there; Henri Nouwen speaks my soul-language):

Hope is trusting that something will be fulfilled, but fulfilled according to the promises and not just according to our wishes...To wait open-endedly is an enormously radical attitude toward life...So, too, is giving up control over our future and letting God define our life, trusting that God molds us according to God's love and not according to our fear.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               - Henri Nouwen 

When I was in Ireland this summer, I was grappling with some big unknowns awaiting me upon my return. I found out then that my sister/roommate/best friend is moving to teach in Thailand.

And I had the choice to trust. To trust that this new season will bring good. To trust that my needs will be provided for, even if in unexpected ways. To trust that God is Love and He will not leave me alone.

And today I have the same choice. I still don't know where/with whom I will live, but I see the Lord providing beautiful friendships, a deep contentment and joy about teaching at the Catholic school where I am starting my second year, and a peace that it will all be OK.




No comments:

Post a Comment