12.21.2015

We need to learn something: Evening 2



Evening 2: The enchanting music of sign language

One of my best friends from college learned American sign language as her second language in high school. I have always respected this decision, mainly because not many people, including myself, choose to learn a language so outside of the box of "expected languages one should learn."

In this TED talk, Christine Sun Kim opens my "ears" to understand sound differently. I never realized that sound can be experienced not only through hearing it, but also through experiencing its effect. Christine explained how she experiences sound through its impact on others. Although her experience with sound is different from those who hear, it is no less valid.

This caused me to realize that there are so many more dimensions to our experience of something seemingly so ordinary as sound. As a piano teacher, I should explore the variety of ways in which music impacts people, beyond just hearing it. I want to strive to understand the depths of what music is, beyond just harmonies that we hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment