1.14.2023

On Sabbath, Simplicity, and Slowing


at home on Bellevue with my sisters // photo credit: Stef Carr

Simplicity of schedule (reducing busyness) and simplicity of material things (reducing clutter) is rooted in identity - who am I and what do I value? Do I get my identity from what I own, what I do, or who I know? 

My journey towards embracing more simplicity has revolved around accepting my limitations, accepting my humanity. And knowing that at the very core of who I am, I am beloved. Coming into this posture of rest means accepting the here and now; being at peace with what is, and not what is to come. 


Here are a few resources that have shaped my views on prioritizing Sabbath, simplicity, and slowing, this counter-cultural way of being: 



B O O K S 


The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry: How to Stay Emotionally Healthy and Spiritually Alive in the Chaos of the Modern World, John Mark Comer (2019) 

        I highly recommend this book as a resource to shape a theology of rest. If you don’t                    read anything else, read this one. 


Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human, John Mark Comer (2017) 

    “Sabbath is a way…to silence Pharaoh’s voice and break free from Egypt’s pull…to tune                         our life to God’s rest.” 

  • This one is similar to The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry, but addresses the importance of work - as well as rest - in bringing about God’s kingdom here on earth


The Sabbath, Abraham Heschel, a 20th century Jewish Rabbi and scholar (1951) 

  • I also highly recommend this book as a beautifully-crafted theology of Sabbath’s importance

  • A classic of Jewish spirituality  


How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy, Jenny Odell (2019) 

  • Though not written from the Christian tradition, artist and academic Jenny Odell speaks prophetically into the craziness of our time. She grew up in Silicon Valley and brings a unique voice to this conversation. 

  • Her perspectives challenged me, “Our value [in the capitalist, productivity-driven modern world] is determined by our productivity.” 


    Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster (1978) 

                   I am still working my way through this, slowly savoring Foster’s wisdom. He devotes a full

                   chapter to simplicity, as well as chapters on 11 other spiritual disciplines


P O D C A S T S 


    Rule of Life, hosted by John Mark Comer and produced by Practicing the Way

                    A podcast designed to guide followers of Jesus as they explore spiritual               

                    practices such as prayer, sabbath, solitude, and fasting.


    The Next Right Thing, hosted by Emily P. Freeman 

    A podcast dedicated to making decisions, but I find it be most life-giving in the 

    sphere of soul-care and learning how to be present to your life. I never miss an 

    episode of this weekly podcast, it’s that good.  


D O C U M E N T A R I E S 


    Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things (2016) 

            A deep dive into how our consumer-driven society, if left unfettered, can harm us.

    • I found their perspectives to be extreme, verging on radicalism.

    • This is the documentary that inspired me to get rid of a lot of stuff. I went through a big purge, and will admit today that I got rid of too much at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment