12.01.2017

the overflow

peering outside Stribling Cottage, Shrine Mont
After reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts a number of years ago, my heart was opened to realize the value of eucharisteo, thanksgiving.

But I don't want to force it. True thanksgiving is an organic overflow of the heart, not a mind-over-matter willpower thing.

When my sister put up a "Thankful" board on our kitchen wall a few weeks ago, I didn't feel very thankful. Disappointment about this year overcame the joys of the many beautiful moments. But lately, something shifted in me. Maybe it's the simple, laughter-filled days I spent with family over the holiday. Maybe it's finally settling into a church where I have been welcomed with their invitations and smiling faces coming up to introduce themselves and welcome me every Sunday; I feel that I belong there, even though I struggle during every sermon, wrestling with discontinuities and my own theological questions. 

Needless to say, for these I am grateful:

01. Jim Spillane and the unlikely friendship in the Kathmandu valley
02. my friend loaning me his guitar
03. bon iver coming to my city
04. my jigsaw puzzle schedule, and so many free mornings
05. waiting with expectation for good to come 
06. one of my dearest friends surprising me with a visit soon
07. tacos and tuesdays and friends
08. Sleeping at Last's I Heard the Bells rendition and our $19 Christmas tree
09. Fawn Street Community Garden and rain barrels and sunshine and Swiss Chard
10. Madame Secretary and cozy fall nights with my sister, drinking turmeric ginger tea

No comments:

Post a Comment