2.28.2016

7 things I love about my church


[photo courtesy of churchrez.org]

01. the liturgy: I love the rich prayers, the ever-changing liturgical calendar, the church tradition, sacramental theology.

02. the balance: There is respect for holding a middle ground on such issues not critical to the Gospel, like infant baptism or whether or not the Eucharist really becomes the Body and Blood of Christ when a priest consecrates it.

03. the structure: I love the accountability that the church hierarchy brings within our parish, but also within the diocese. No priest or deacon is leading without adequate oversight.

04. the unity: I love that we are part of a larger church with other Anglican churches around the globe. The communion of believers.

05. the age diversity: I love that there are infants and elderly. My church is full of families, college students, and adults of all ages. I only wish there was more racial diversity.

06. the worship: I love the combination of traditional and contemporary music. On any given Sunday, we could go from a plainsong version of  Our Father, to a song from the Taize or Iona community, to something by Chris Tomlin or Fernando Ortega. We're working on getting that Gospel music in there ;)

07. the Spirit: I love that the Holy Spirit is not left out, as can sometimes happen in churches. Rather, my church relies on and craves the Spirit's work in our lives.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment